Biracial, Bipolar, Bisexual (Bi, Bi, Bi) - Updated from June 2021

I know it has been a while since I spilled my guts so here is one for you. It was started in June 2021, but I just updated it a bit. During COVID, in particular, I had a core group of friends that always looked out for my best interest, assisting me in all that I had to do, while also protecting me from myself

You see, I have this nasty voice in my head that sometimes still says...

"You would be better off dead!"

As many of you know, I mainly stayed in my house throughout the last couple years. However, during COVID I was invited to stay with my friend for a month  - he helped me to get some weight back on and not to kill myself. I was also able to escape to another friend's quiet home in Maryland for a bit - he also helped me to get around, sometimes by carrying me. It was nice to have a change of pace instead of just sitting in my house. So this was all around the start of COVID, so it was not until I received the COVID-19 vaccination that I felt like I could breathe a little easier. 

At first, when my Oncologist asked if I would be receiving the COVID-19 vaccination (if it were offered), I said a resounding "HELL NO" I was super weary of it, particularly because I assumed it was developed quickly and done half ass. I now believe that I had it all wrong. After much thought, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to safely see my loved ones again. I would have been pissed if I died from something that I stayed in for like 2 years trying to avoid. Essentially, I had been an "inactive participant" in my life either way, and that was a huge loss. I was not "Living My Dash".

What happened to "living my dash"?

I believe that I thrive when I am amongst people. I thought about my family/framily and realized that I needed to be brave for them, so I had to get the vaccine. Again, it was my choice. 

Please note: I DO NOT knock people for their personal decisions. 

But then I thought about how I had not really seen most of my friends and family throughout the year and that my precious time was being wasted. If you know me, you should know how seriously I take my time on this earth. 

But I was stuck. It hurt to walk, no appetite, no energy, etc. 

So at the time that all of this was going on, I also struggled with my mental health. A double wammy! There were constant thoughts of killing myself because, at times, I felt like I had ZERO purpose . Honestly I still feel that way a great deal. I had left the podcast and was struggling to find what I had to live for since I felt that was what I believed I was meant to do. I looked at myself in the mirror and asked myself if 

"I would be happy if I were to die today"

The answer was a resounding "NO", but I would be lying if I said that I am "better". Every day is a struggle.

I know that this can be boiled down to a lack of CONTROL in my life. Ultimately, it always does. Do I bring up having a terminal diagnosis to bring my loved ones back to reality...yes. I hope that they understand that 5+ years have passed and I am still here!

FACT: 

The median life span for a patient living/thriving with 

Stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer is 

THREE YEARS 

but I will have SIX YEARS on January 24, 2023!

Are my diagnoses (MBC and Bipolar 2 Depression) something that I am happy to discuss? Not really, but I know that it is up to me to be honest and lay it all out there to just maybe help someone else that is struggling. Be honest - when someone asks "How are you doing?", no one wants you verbally vomit all of your BS. Just say...."I'm well. And you?". I know that the crazy shit that goes through my mind. But I have to try to believe that I am alive for a reason, regardless of the guilt I feel for still being here. But why am I still here and so many are gone? Why were they so abruptly taken from this earth? All it takes is one upsetting experience and I jump right back to wanting to commit suicide (planning, in my head) because sometimes it seems that would be easier than dealing with this cancer, mental health issues, and personal struggles. I continue to beat myself to shit when I think about all that I am putting my loved ones through. 

The guilt I feel is overwhelming. 

That being said, I needed to truly restart "living my dash". 

But it was not that simple. This epiphany came about after suicide attempts and an 11 day stay in "the bin", as I so lovingly call the Psych Ward. I was on morphine, muscle relaxers, nerve meds, and the pain from the Verzenio was still crippling. It is so hard to explain the pain that you are in when no one can see it. The nausea, the vomiting, the lack of an appetite. My weight has gone up from 125 to 160 and now I am 120lb again. I had been turning to taking extra Morphine and Clonazepam in the hope that I would not wake up. After about a week of waking up and being pissed at the world, I think I just came to the conclusion to take both bottles of pills and just...

DO IT. 

Luckily my friend Laura was there and saved my life. It was clear that something was wrong. In my blind stupor, I threatened my sister with harm, using a bat, and all I kept saying, per my parents, was 

"I just want to help people!" 

Wow. The mind is a crazy thing. I had been working with a therapist to talk things through and to help determine what is fact and also to help recognize when my mind is playing tricks on me. I am not ashamed to say that I struggle, particularly when I am super MANIC and/or super DEPRESSED, to make the right choices. But I must admit, during those times, my thoughts are often not rational at all. My behaviors can also be impulsive. Oftentimes I am misunderstood and for that....

I AM SO SORRY. 

As I am learning, all of this is part of Bipolar 2 Disorder.

"Mania and hypomania are two distinct types of episodes, but they have the same symptoms. Mania is more severe than hypomania and causes more noticeable problems at work, school and social activities, as well as relationship difficulties. Mania may also trigger a break from reality (psychosis) and require hospitalization.


Both a manic and a hypomanic episode include 3 or more of these symptoms:

  • Abnormally upbeat, jumpy or wired

  • Increased activity, energy or agitation

  • Exaggerated sense of well-being and self-confidence (euphoria)

  • Decreased need for sleep

  • Unusual talkativeness

  • Racing thoughts

  • Distractibility

  • Poor decision-making — for example, going on buying sprees, taking sexual risks or making foolish investments *

* Link: Bipolar 2 Info...

I had felt that this was my diagnosis a few years back but I was told that I did not fit the criteria. In actuality, I am the epitome of a Bipolar 2 patient. So, this time, we had a therapist in my corner, who so graciously still dedicates her time to help me be a better person. I also see a psych doc in order to control my meds. My Palliative Care Team at Pennsylvania Hospital has been amazing and worked with my psych docs and my Oncology Team, as well as my Primary Care Physician, to ensure that I have the best treatment plan possible.

So after 11 days in Bryn Mawr Hospital, I mentally felt stronger. It was so nice to get COVID tested and to be able to feel some semblance of control/normalcy while I was inpatient. We were able to walk around and hang out with one another. I had just narrowly escaped COVID after a couple of our friends were tragically struck by lightening and killed. I did not leave the house for the services but 35 people, including my core group, all had it....crazy, right? Here is the kicker...during my last evening inpatient, we found out that, a few people that I was close with on the floor were positive for COVID. They tested all of us out of precaution that evening. We had to all stay in our rooms until we were notified of our results. We knew who was positive because they relocated them to isolation. 

What are the chances that I narrowly escaped COVID...TWICE? 

The people that I was closest to in the hospital were ALL positive. I had even held hands in prayer with those affected. I most definitely have some angels up there, looking out for me, that's for sure.  

So once Penn Medicine was ready, I had made my choice KNOWN that I needed to get the vaccination as soon as I could. I reached out and messaged every site known to man, looking to get in right away. I felt that getting the vaccine would offer what I so dearly missed - CONTROL.

I received the 1st dose at Pennsylvania Hospital . The 2nd dose was at the TLA in Philadelphia on South Street. It was such an efficient process. I am lucky to report that I did not suffer any side effects except sleeping a ton after the 1st dose. 

To say that I feel FREE is an understatement. I am able to walk about and live my life after being put on pause for over a year. I have Stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer, so I can face anything, right? And if a mask will help me to prolong my life, I will wear one when necessary (my personal choice).

I have to keep telling myself that MY LIFE IS WORTH LIVING.

Fast forward to today. I had been eating well for a couple months but that is a struggle once again. I wish I could just eat and I just cannot do it, nor do I have an appwtite for anything. I had also been really taking care of myself, even working out (my therapist and Pilate's teacher both kindly donate their time to help make me be the best human that I can), both mentally and physically.

Please understand that I am fully transparent NOT for anyone to sympathize or criticize. but to aid in breaking the stigmas that surround talking about real shit. 

The best way to connect with me is via Instagram @justaskwithandysealy. I can also be found at https://www.facebook.com/andysealy.

All love...KEEP LIVING YOUR DASH

Andy xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts